President was built in 1909 at the Fellows, Morton and Clayton company dock at Saltley, Birmingham, The company built and operated 31 steam narrow boats between 1889 and 1931. Converted from steam to Bolinder in 1925, President continued to be used until advertised for sale as a derelict hull in 1973. President was bought by Nicholas Bostock and Malcolm Braine for restoration to its original appearance complete with working steam plant, President was then bought by the Black Country Living Museum in January 1983, and Kildare was bought in September 1991.